Apcera re-purposed itself.

Apcera

Apcera started as a PaaS platform called Continuum; then HCOS (Hybrid Cloud Operating System); then simply Apcera  platform.

The latest Apcera incarnation from Network World Nov 8  is
 Apcera’s container management platform for cloud-native and legacy applications. At the same time, the company also announced it has expanded integration features to further support Amazon EC2 Container Service (Amazon ECS), Google Compute Engine and Microsoft Azure—strong integrations that should further the company's claim to providing near-seamless movement of workloads across heterogeneous environments.
According Mark Thiele, chief strategy officer for Apcera.
“Apcera has an enterprise-first approach to container management, and customers regularly turn to us to help modernize legacy applications, as well as to run Docker securely and at scale,”

Joyent

There is a January 2015 - famous now - blog from Bryan Cantrill, Joyent CTO . The title is Predicteria 2015 . If you wonder what Predicteria means, Bryan told me and I wrote it down in this The new Joyent blog.

According to Bryan
  1. 2015 is the year of the container. ... Thanks to Docker, the world is finally figuring out that OS-based virtualization is actually highly disruptive (better performance and lower cost!), and I think that this realization will become mainstream in 2015. I don’t think that Docker will necessarily be the only substrate,
  2.  The impedance mismatch between containers in development and containers in production will be a wellspring of innovation. Currently, containers have a ton of developer enthusiasm — but limited production deployments, in part because of production concerns around security, persistence and network virtualization. But it’s a sure bet that there will be (many) players tackling the problems in interesting ways.
 I asked, how did  he notice the impedance mismatch?
When I speak to a developer event, I ask people the audience: "How many of you have used Docker containers?"  About one third to half of the audience raises the hand. Then I ask:  "How many of you have used Docker containers in production?" and I see just a few hands  still up
I am convinced it was the vision of Bryan that lead Joyent to re-invent itself

Why Docker is a winner versus VMs

This is the title of my LinkedIn blog . I am humbled by the traffic generated from Docker, Quora and LinkedIn

I ended the article like this
If Docker is a contract between devs and devops, then Apcera's HCOS seals it in form of ITOps policies that make it  respected and implemented in an automated fashion
I still believe this today.

Comments

Popular Posts