His thorough analysis shows,
- Joyent does not need to create "clusters" - as AWS does - in order to run Docker Containers
- Joyent uses the native Docker API, - instead of layering proprietary APIs on top - and
- It preserves the ability to develop and test the entire workflow on your laptops,
- Joyent containers are running on bare metal container hypervisor, rather than inside a virtual machine, like AWS
- They run faster with much higher I/O performance
- Each Joyent container has an independent IP stack,
- you'll no longer have to suffer the frustration of port conflicts.
- The performance and security protections in Joyent's container hypervisor isolate every container from trouble in the containers nearby
- ... and more, read Casey blog
This leads us to the following conclusions
- The New Joyent leaves AWS in the dust when running Docker containers. Joyent is much, much faster, more secure, easier to use and it costs less.
- AWS have years as market leaders, with the largest mind share in the cloud virtual servers, but not in running Docker containers.
- Joyent can run in the customer's data center and as a public cloud. AWS offers AWS public cloud only
The last bullet requires some clarifications. Read below.
The new cloud top executives expect
Large corporations are tired of the existing definitions of cloud
|CloudExpo NY 2014: Moving Mission Critical Applications to the Cloud, by Kacy Clarke|
According to Gartner
Large multinational corporations look at Facebook, Google, Amazon (the entire company, that includes AWS) and say. "Why can't we have a system like that in-house?" This mean transforming the Data Center in a modern industrial strength grade infrastructure that can be run like a factory to produce top-line revenues.By 2017, Web-scale IT will be an architectural approach found operating in 50 percent of global enterprises, up from less than 10 percent in 2013, according to Gartner, Inc. Web-scale IT is a pattern of global-class computing that delivers the capabilities of large cloud service providers within an enterprise IT setting by rethinking positions across several dimensions..
The executives want to adopt internally a cloud, to add velocity in software development, because for the majority of corporations today, software is at the heart of the business. They understand cloud is a superior solution, but they are reluctant to place the mission critical applications on someone's else public infrastructure.
They can go to Joyent and ask for their cloud and container software, that will run internally in a private data center, just as it runs on Joyent Public Cloud. AWS does not offer that at all.