Why Moore Law is thriving at Intel

Stephen S. Pawlowski is Intel’s Senior Fellow and Chief Technology Officer for the Datacenter & Connected Systems Group (DCSG) and General Manager for the Architecture Group & DCSG Pathfinding was interviewed by Nages Sieslack.

Stephen will be at  the ISC'13 as a keynote speaker about Moore's Law and Intel's future designs. Here are eight reason why Moore Law* is well and alive at Intel


  1. The bill of materials, not the price, for just the electronics components of my first PC design, a 25 MHz 80386 based machine was almost $2000, and its performance pales in significance to a cell phone today.
  2. The Human Genome has been mapped and now we can use that information to find cures for diseases that in 1982 were considered unimaginable.
  3. Social networking has become pervasive. One day my daughter ‘texted’ my wife and I not more than five minutes after we left the restaurant we were at to tell us that she had read, on Facebook, what we had just eaten. This would not be unusual, but my wife and I actually don’t do Facebook J.
  4. Tremendous amounts of information are at our fingertips. Encyclopedias Book sets, which were essential when I was a kid, are a thing of the past.
  5. Cameras are everywhere, Pictures are ready to share instantaneously and film is almost a thing of the past!
  6. In 1982, CDs came out in August…I still bought my music on vinyl records and cassette tapes. High definition televisions are now ubiquitous and cheap.
  7. Young people rarely wear wrist watches any more.
  8. Cell phones in 1982? What cell phones?
I would add the annual 25 Petaflops of data from Large Hadon Collider searching for Higgs' particle, which is larger than all of the above.

* Moore Law: The overall processing power for computers will double every two years. 


Comments

Popular Posts